BY: Evan Winkofsky
With so many question marks surrounding the Buccaneers training camp, head coach Lovie Smith was just happy to get practice on tape. "It's always good to get something on video. Yesterday's practice, we weren't really able to get anything on. So we have good video, as coaches, to evaluate the guys from on this very step"
And evaluate they must. On day two of camp in the Jeff Tedford / Josh McCown offense it's hard to be overly critical. Up and down would be the best way to describe how they looked. Josh McCown was picked on an ugly throw over the middle by safety Mark Barron but responded by finding Vincent Jackson for the TD. "That's how the day went, some good and bad" said Lovie.
The good has been a couple of young talented pass catchers. Austin Seferian-Jenkins is returning from a foot injury. Lovie was impressed by his progress. "He's playing catch-up, but he's catching up. Mentally he stayed in the game"
Mike Evans says he really doesn't think about how much height they have out there on the offense but he knows one thing; his quarterback (McCown) trusts them. "He sees our frame he is going to throw it up there and give us a chance to make a play for him."
The biggest story of training camp so far has been Carl Nicks but new FA defensive end Michael Jenkins is confident in the unit. "I'm impressed by the whole group that we've got. I expect nothing but for all of us to get better."
On a day where the Bucs defense created some turnovers Lovie still didn't seem satisfied. "That was a start." He said. "We missed a lot of opportunities to take the ball away."
Not much has changed from his mantra and coaching style that had the Chicago Bears top the list in the NFL in creating turnovers for almost a decade.
The pads finally come on tomorrow and players on both side of the ball are eager to prove some things. Said Mike Evans "The DB's have been talking"
• Quote of the Day: Lovie Smith "it's hard not to know when Warren is in the house." On No. 99 roaming the sidelines.
• On the first play of 7 on 7 McCown scanned the field, selected his second option Chris Owusu (WR) before watching the pass go off Owusu's hands and almost intercepted.
• Mike Evans had a couple drops throughout the day even slamming his hands down in frustration after one. McCown was the first guy over to his young WR to settle him down.
• Safety Mark Barron got the fans on their feet and cheering for the defense when he stepped in front of a floating pass from McCown over the middle.
• The very next play: Vincent Jackson had the most impressive play of the day leaping up and securing a Josh McCown pass down the right sideline for a TD. One of just two deep balls connected on during practice.
• Mike Glennon was the first QB to complete a pass longer than 10 yards when he hit Miami product Tommy Streeter for a TD.
• Injuries: from Lovie "a couple of minor injuries. I don't really know the extent yet but nothing major.
Photo Courtesy Of Dory Leblanc